I recently finished reading the book THE SUBTLE ART OF NOT GIVING A F*CK -by MARK MANSON.
Every sentence in this book has a deep meaning. I was able to connect to most of them. Some of my favorite points from this book, I will start with my most favorite one:
- Travel is a fantastic self-development tool because it extricates you from the values of your culture and shows you that another society can live with entirely different values and still function and not hate themselves. This exposure to different cultural values and metrics then forces you to reexamine what seems obvious in your own life and to consider that perhaps it’s not necessarily the best way to live.
- The Backward Law: Wanting a positive experience is a negative experience; accepting a negative experience is a positive experience.
- To be happy we need something to solve. Happiness is, therefore, a form of action.
- Don’t just sit there. Do something. The answers will follow
- There is no such thing as not giving a fuck. You must give a fuck about something. It’s part of our biology to always care about something and therefore to always give a fuck.
The question, then, is, What do we give a fuck about? what are we choosing to give a fuck about? And how can we not give about what ultimately does not matter?
- Whether you realize it or not, you are always choosing what to give a fuck about.
- People no longer realize it’s okay for things to suck sometimes.
- Happiness is a problem: Life is essentially an endless series of problems, The solution to one problem is merely the creation of the next one.
- Don’t hope for a life without problems, There is no such thing. Instead, hope for a life full of good problems.
- What do you want out of life? if you answer is “I want to be happy and have great family and job I like” your response is common and everybody wants that.
The more interesting question is “What pain do you want in your life? What are you willing to struggle for?” Because this seems to be a great determinant of how our lives turn out.
- Maturity is what happens when one learns to only give a fuck about what’s truly fuckworthy
- You and everyone you know are going to be dead soon. And in the short amount of time between here and there, you have a limited amount of fucks to give. Very few, in fact. And if you go around giving a fuck about everything and everyone without conscious thought or choice—well, then you’re going to get fucked.
- Unhealthy love is based on two people trying to escape their problems through their emotions for each other—in other words, they’re using each other as an escape. Healthy love is based on two people acknowledging and addressing their own problems with each other’s support.
- If you want to change how you see your problems, you have to change what you value and/or how you measure failure/success
- Not giving a fuck does not mean being indifferent; it means being comfortable with being different.
- Decision-making based on emotional intuition, without the aid of reason to keep it in line, pretty much always sucks. You know who bases their entire lives on their emotions? Three-year-old kids. And dogs. You know what else three-year-olds and dogs do? Shit on the carpet.
I loved reading this book. I won’t mind reading this book 100’s of times like I don’t mind watching harry potter(I have watched it for so many times that now I have stopped counting).
Note: I noticed today that this post was in my wp draft, so I am posting it today. But this post was originally written in August 2018 🙂